Stripping the Donor !!
After thinking about where to start I decided to remove
the electric fuel pump first, then the petrol tank. I soon discovered
how much pressure there is left in the fuel pipe, when I cut it,
( I was going to make some new ones up anyway), petrol spurted out
everywhere. It was now that I realised although an integral garage
is nice, it can end up stinking the whole house out. The boss was
not very happy about the smell of petrol all over the house. The
tank came off no problem , bloody hell what a size !! , there won't
be much room left in the 2B if I fit that!. I have now decided on
getting a tank made up with swirl pots and bottom exit for the gravity
fuel pump. I have also kept the inertia fuel cutoff switch, (located
in the boot under the spare tyre).
Next Job, the bits and bobs in the engine compartment,
ie alternator, coil, fuel filter, radiator and such like. Remember
to label up all the wires, ( I forgot one and don't know yet where
it goes...). The radiator came out okay but pissed dirty water all
over the garage floor, which I then proceeded to tread in and out
of the house. which I cleaned up before the boss noticed. The rest
I blamed on the dog..
The exhaust then came off in one piece no problem,
then the manifold. Right now for the engine, I was lucky enough
to have loan of an engine hoist from work, so once the bolts were
out, the engine came away no problem.
Now for the propshaft bolts in preparation for removing the gearbox,
no problem there, except that laying underneath the car I managed
to put my head down in a pool of oil/water. The gearbox came way
no problem and I left it under the car. Time to stop today.
Dropped the rear sub/frame axle/diff assembly first thing, no problem,
then took out the steering rack. Next dropped the front suspension
and removed the struts, I will need these as I have opted for the
standard sliding bush setup for the2B front suspension. Blast !!!
busted my socket wrench (I was using it as a hammer at the time),will
have to stop for the day now..
More room now !
First job of the day...remove the pedal box and steering column.
No real problems, had to bend myself almost double to get under
the dash and undo the pedal box nuts, only to find the brake pedal
is separate from the rest, so had to dive under the dash a second
time. Steering column came out no problem, however I did manage
to break the plastic screw fixing from the top cowling cover. Lots
more room inside the car now so I decided to remove the seats as
well, also removed the handbrake while I was at it. By now I had
discovered a total of 95p in change under the seats and carpet,
so it looks like I got a better deal than I thought with the Sierra
Now comes the bit I was not looking forward to, removing the loom.
After consulting the ever so accurate Haynes manual,l out
came the upper and lower dashboard, instrument cluster and center
console.Bloody hell ! what a mess of wiring, and I've got to try
and sort this lot out !!!..
The picture on the right shows the Alarm someone has fitted, won't
it be fun trying to find out where that goes to in the loom. I can
now see the Engine Management System, Advanced Warning System and
Lamp failure Indicator, it does look however as if they are on separate
sub looms, so I should be able the identify the wiring. Oh well
better get on with it .. started at the back of the car by threading
all the wires from the lights etc, back through the bodywork. I
now have even more wires in the footwell area. It's starting to
look like an explosion in a spaghetti factory..
I had just started to trace the loom within the engine department
when visitors started to arrive. Oh well looks like that's it for
this weekend ..