There is also another small pipe which connects to the feed pipe
for the heater which travels under the manifold.
that seems to be all the water plumbing sorted. I have a heater
from a VW Polo, this needs to be fitted next, normally a heater
from a Mini is used but I found last time the mini heater to be
a bit pathetic. Anyway I have yet to figure out how to fit it..
Lot’s of ‘little’ jobs
to sort this today whilst waiting for parts from Pilgrim. First
off sort out the
crankcase gas venting. On the Rover Positive Crankcase Venting
is required, otherwise gas pressure builds up inside the engine
and horrible oily deposits appear around your nice clean engine,
wherever the gasses were able to get out.
So the method
I used was to ‘suck’ from the from
vacuum point on the Carb , through a PCV ,(Positive Crankcase
Vent), valve in the top of the offside rocker cover . Clean air
is then drawn in though the nearside rocker cover via the air
All well and good but I had to make up some fittings. I got
a PCV valve from Real Steel , but it was too small to fit into
the rocker cover filler hole. I noticed however the inside of
the tall filler neck from the rover was the correct diameter,
so I cut off the bottom few threads, fitted the PCV valve inside,
then screwed the valve in with a bit of Araldite around the threads.
Looks quite neat.
For the other rocker cover, a short length of 8mm copper pipe
fitted into the little hole at the rear, the pipe was then connected
to the outlet under the bottom of the air filter.
That should sort the crankcase venting.
the brake servo, this was a simple case of re-using the original
vacuum pipe complete with non-return valve. Just connect
the pipe to the vacuum port on the back of the carb.
You will also notice from the above photo, the fuel line inlet
has been changed to a Banjo connection as I found the pipe fouls
the underneath of the air filter. The banjo fitting came from
for the accelerator cable, I tried to make a standard Sierra/Granada
setup fit but gave up in the end and bought a universal accelerator
kit from , yes you guessed it, Real Steel .
The Carb end fitted perfectly as you can see below.
but the pedal
end I modified the normal connection through the bulkhead as
used on the Sierra. Just drilled out the plastic
tube to take the threaded adjuster and fitted a ‘sleeve
around the ball, job done.
In the above photo you can see that I have re-used the standard
filler cap, just cut away the horrible orange plastic, polished
it up and shortened the neck. I think it looks okay and matched
the PCV valve.
next, no problems here, I fitted a ‘Filter King’ filter/regulator
on the chassis and ran the 8mm copper pipe down the nearside
to the rear.
To mount the pump I used a coil clamp which fitted perfectly.
!! some of my missing parts have arrived from Pilgrim, ie Petrol
tank, Expansion tank, Handbrake cable, Halibrand Wheels and
best of all the Wiring loom.
first off fit the handbrake, hmmm turned out not to fit has
well as expected, the cable is actually too long by just a
tad, leaving no adjustment. Fixed the problem by making up
a bracket to 'pinch' the cable together just after the half
moon guide , this effectively reduced the length giving me
enough for adjustment, now works fine.
now meant I could now fit the propshaft, no problem fitted
as if was made for the job :-).
that fitted the Petrol tank, (painted last night), again, no
problem, then connected up the fuel hose and filter.
must say the Halibrands loom very nice and a quick trip up
town to get the tyres fitted and couldn't wait to stick them
the expansion tank next, but had to trawl through all the radiator
caps in Halfords to find one that fitted, turned out to be
a Cortina cap (15 lbs).
time to fit all wheels and lower down from the axle stands.
At long last I can say I really do have a 'rolling' chassis!.